Featured post

Monday 2 June 2014

Getting started in golf...and so it begins





“You can’t play golf!” he laughed.  He laughed uproariously, basking in his own bead of joy.  There were a lot of things I didn’t like about that statement: first, the emphasis was on the ‘you’; secondly, it was my son making this pronouncement; thirdly, I regard him as friend and encourager; and, finally, I had brought him up to tell the truth.  I eyed him balefully, replete in the knowledge that, while I had done a good job in rearing him, my good works were coming back to haunt me.  He headed out the door, proudly clutching his shiny new blue-and-white striped golf bag stuffed with equally shiny silvery-new golf clubs, looking every inch a peacock on steroids with his plumage on full display.  I was green with envy.  As he swept onwards and outwards, he threw his parting phrase at me – the scorpion phrase let’s call it.  “Maybe crazy golf,” he said, “That’s right up your street.”  He laughed himself all the way out of the house and into his car and I could see him laughing as he drove off the street.  You can go off people, you know, even a beloved son.  I take the no-nonsense approach that a parent should be allowed under mitigating circumstances to sell their progeny on line without it being a criminal offence – and this was surely one of those times.  I was already writing the ad as he turned left out of our road.
My mood stayed dark and brooding for a while as I ruminated on that family gene I had so skilfully passed to my son and now allowed me to be the butt of his quick wit and snappy riposte.  “Comedian,” I muttered dolefully as I searched my reserves for a solution.   The quickest way to ensure I will do something is to tell me I can’t.  I blame this trait on a carefree youth and a large dose of education at the hands of the religious arm of the Mafia – otherwise known as the Sisters of Mercy – which left me with a strong sense of disestablishmentarianism, very little insight into the quality of mercy and a need to kick over the traces.  My adult self has learned to control these urges but, when the chips are down as they surely were now, I drew on this resource.  Muttering dark words that were never in the vocabulary of those nuns, I set about plotting my revenge.  Game on.
The first golden rule for any female contemplating a new anything is to consult the girl crew.  Well, I have a handbag-ful of girlfriends and consult them I did.  They are never shy in bringing forth their opinions on any subject under the sun but imagine my horror when I mentioned the word golf and provoked nothing more than a “Golf,” they said, “what’s that?” and barely raised a collective finely plucked eyebrow in response.  When I mentioned skorts their interest ratcheted up a notch or two.  “How does that work?” they asked, sipping diligently on a vintage Wolf Blass oaked chardonnay.  When I said it was a garment made of a cross between Lycra and linen and designed to lift flagging abdominal spare tyres to boob height, thereby increasing busts from vapid 36B’s to Madonna-coned-in-your-face 40DD’s, they were with me, excited, intent.  The arc of interest didn’t last long though.  The next question put paid to that.  “Are we allowed to wear stilettos?” shimmied up my gym-buddy girlfriend.  I had to fess up a large fat ‘no’.  The response to that was couched in a logic I find hard to disagree with – girls in heels on greens would make less of an indent than man-sized pitch marks, the ground would be aerated while they played and any girl in heels would automatically be pitched over the ball.  No need for all that male-simpering preparatory knee-flexing and crouching over the ball too often seen at address.  It came with the territory.   If the rules changed, they promised...... Well, I’m not holding my breath.  Before I leave the girl crew firmly behind, I have to mention I didn’t have the courage to tell them there are still some men-only golf clubs out there.  I could not take responsibility for the lynching-mob mentality that would surely erupt.  I love my girls too much and, besides which, jail visiting them would take up far too much time that could be otherwise invested in the beautiful game of golf.
Next stop was the sages.  You know the sort, we’ve all got them – they know everything about anything but nothing about the something you might sensibly want to discuss.  Dyed-in-the-wool pundits lurking in the guise of working colleagues, family, nodding acquaintances or any Joe Public who might happen by.  “Take Dufner,” they said – and I wished somebody would, preferably a spin doctor or image consultant; “Look at Rory McIlroy,” they cajoled – and I did but I never got past the haircut or, more pedantically, the lack of it.  I’ve sent his mother my stylist’s number; “And then there’s Tiger,” they intoned – and I sunk immediately into dufnering pose.  Well, I never got the points they were actually making but I did glean that starting young has some advantages.  As I had obviously missed the boat by a wide margin, I promptly signed my grandson for junior golf academy.  Maybe he’ll remember his grandmother when he’s famous.  Recent form was not looking too good.  The embedding of his ball in the cat’s dinner dish and the proceedings of chipping it out were rather painful to watch.  The fine spray of meaty gel is taking some major cleaning effort and his mother is not best pleased with me.  I won’t be augmenting my pension fund just yet but there is hope: he is a mere two.
My father instilled in me the need to do things the “right way”.  Trouble is he never told me how to recognise the right way so I blew that piece of advice out of the water a long time ago and have been making it up ever since.  He also told me that a job worth doing is worth doing well.  Now this I “get”.  I was ruminating on that gem of wisdom and wondering where I should go next when - ping!  into my inbox arrived Mr Right Way who shall, from henceforth, be otherwise known as Vintage Golfer.  Of course I’d known for some time he was vintage but quite how good a golfer he was he had hidden quietly under his bushel.  By some random act of the texting gods, his hand and handicap were revealed and, suddenly, I had someone who knew more than something about the specific and almighty thing I needed most to talk about: getting the right start in golf.  He set me on my way at last.  I learned several things from that encounter: the right way will find you - don’t waste time looking for it; always check for bushels in vintage characters’ lives - surprising what you find hidden in this pre-emptive strike; and never leave home without your lipstick and your mobile phone fully charged.  After all, you never know the day or the hour when Vintage Golfer will drop by your inbox and you will always want to look your best when he sets you off on the right way.  It’s a given.
Vintage Golfer supplied me with the contact number for the best golf teacher on the planet.  Simples. 
“Have you ever played golf before?” fielded Simon when I called him to book a lesson.  I was tempted to lie but those nuns and my parents had done a good job here – “No,” I replied truthfully, fully expecting he would trot out my son’s “Take up crazy golf, it should suit you” number.  Instead and to my utter amazement, he replied “That’s great.  You can’t have gained any bad habits then.”  I was tempted to rebuff this with a quick resumé of my life but it was a long time since anyone had paid me such a marvellous compliment so I took it on the chin and basked in its sunshine.  We booked a date.  Armed only with grim determination, all my own teeth, the contact number of a great hairdresser, and a pressing need to prove my son wrong, I headed for the golf course.  Pushing fifty-eight on the map of time may not be the youngest start but, as fifty-eight is the new forty-eight and I am possessed of the optimism of youth, I could see only a glowing future.  I would soon be a golfer.  Job done.


No comments:

Post a Comment