Featured post

Wednesday 18 June 2014

DRESSING THE PART - PART 2


Now you have to understand my colour is blue.  Royal blue to be pedantic.  I’ve had my colours done.  First time I met Cousin Sondra, she came right out with the “what’s your colour?” number.  Cousin Sondra is American, retired fashion guru, well-dressed, well-travelled, well-spoken, well-versed in colour analysis and...well, we get on like a house on fire.  Fellow eccentric soul, I love her.  Not having a clue what she was talking about and feeling like the country girl on her first trip to the big city, I rallied with a “it constantly changes” retort.  “Not possible” was the answer and, despite my carefully culled counterpoint of “it’s Boots No.7 Beige when I’m in make-up mode, it’s Celtic freckles when I’m not, it’s ruddy when I’m outdoors in strong winds, and broiled lobster when I’m at the gym”, she was having none of it.  Sondra sailed off without further ado but returned next morning with a chart in hand.  I was diagnosed as ‘royal blue’.  “From now on you wear only clothes with these undertones” was my charge.  I wasn’t sure about blue but once she added ‘royal’ I was sold.  But today I was going shopping and I was intent on red.  Yes, red, that’s what I said.








SIMPLY THE BEST MAN U



Red.  I am nothing if not well-read.  How else would I know about the psychology of colours?  And red’s a winner every time.  Hence I’m a Man U supporter – oh! and the fact that golfing son insists I follow  There’s enough research out there to verify this fact so why wear royal blue when you want to win?  No contest.  Red it is then and I just hope I don’t bump into Cousin Sondra on the golf course.  I’m probably safe for a while yet: she lives in California and I in Essex, England.  But there are always those massive family reunions we hold regularly back in Ireland.......hmmmm...... that includes the Meehan Family Golf Tournament.  There could be trouble ahead!  But Cousin Sondra was currently the least of my worries.  I had just drawn up the definitive list of sports shops covering three towns, two counties and a long weekend.  Ready and primed for the big shop, I set off.  A lady with a mission in red could not fail.

But what a disappointment that turned out to be.
Go-faster striped gym gear – check.
You –can’t keep-up-with-me running apparel – check.
Bend-it-like-Beckham football kit – check.
Murray mood tennis clothes – check.
Knock –‘em-dead boxing garb – check.
It was all there in glorious Technicolor and when I inquired excitedly of a shop assistant where the golfing department was, he led me to a dark recess in the underbelly of the shop and left me there.  I groped around in a tiny enclave of tops and trousers in shades of bereavement black, muddy brown, pastel pinks - so pale they looked liked they needed resuscitation (I’m a nurse, don’t argue) - and deathly insipid greys.  To crown it all, not a thing remotely resembling decent ladies wear was visible.  And as for red.......
After a weekend of devoted shopping, I returned home empty-handed, several (sterling) pounds lighter for having drunk a gallon of coffee at my favourite chic coffee shop and several (avoirdupois) pounds heavier for having eaten a shed-load of their pecan yum yums (to die for!).  I was not winning.
That’s when strike two came from Vintage Golfer who now appeared in the form of fashion guru.  A week let loose at The Open, Muirfield, a wee dram of Bunnahabhain 25 year old and a chat with a sales rep had armed VG with the site of my dreams.  Clothes for pars and bars.  Take it as read, I was in love. KaBoom! Fireworks trousers, matching cap and red polo shirt bought in a flash of cash.  Kitted and fitted.  (A big shout-out to VG.  I think I will introduce him to Cousin Sondra.)








MY TROUSERS KA-BOOM!



Now all I needed was an honest opinion.  If you want one of those, ask middle child, oldest daughter.  She’s the sound bite queen, media buff and general geek in my family.  So if you’re feeling sensitive about a particular issue, don’t go there unless you can handle the answer.  For instance, girls, the “does my bum look big in this?” question is not one you’d casually trot out in her presence or, sensitive new man, unless you hold a burning desire to know if your middle age spread is fast turning into a muffin-top-mound, don’t ask because she’ll tell you.  She speaks at conferences.  Do you think she can’t handle fetching questions from lone inquirers?  I took my entire life in my hands when I posed for her in my new golfing gear and asked “Whaddya think?”  In an instant, she coined the phrase I’ve come to love, “Mum, that outfit - it’s so bad it’s good.”  Stamped with the royal and awesome seal of daughter approval, I headed off for Lesson One.



No comments:

Post a Comment