Featured post

Friday 2 January 2015

SERIOUSLY...???!!!

I was having one of those rare moments of seriousness.  I don’t have them often and it’s not that I haven’t tried - for the Sisters of Mirthless Mirth and Countless Hymns insisted that every Catholic girl should be graceful, seen but never heard.  Serious was the order of the day back then.  Well, I got the right name for this sort of malarkey.  Anne means “full of grace” in Hebrew.  As I’m neither an Israelite or speak the lingo, I’m unsure as to how that might transfer into England-residing, Irish passport-holder me.  They did a good job in knocking the joy out of me, and I will applaud them for their twelve-year persistence, but I am thrilled to report they never succeeded and I’ve been making up for lost time ever since.  I laugh a lot and focus on catholic with a small “c”, applying the universal adage that “he who laughs last laughs longest” – and possibly loudest.

Well, there I was, having a serious moment and up I pipe with my best observation about golf.
“It takes about ninety-three thoughts to make a swing happen but the pundits say you should have no more than three in your head when you address the ball”, say I.  “Which three thoughts would you choose?” 
We were out on the course, Gill and I, beating out our brand of golf and brandishing our thoughts to anyone who’d listen, except no one was, apart from us to each other.  I was expecting a reasoned discourse that would take us through the long travail that constitutes hole 2, par 5 or in my case hole 2, par 75.   

But in the blink of an eye, and in a conversation stopper swifter than a golf swing, back came Gill’s riposte.
“As many as three thoughts, really?  How can men possibly play golf then?”

In an instant I was gone, backwards, into a bush, my moment of seriousness dissipating on the afternoon air like chaff in the wind.  Laughter had resumed and I capitulated in its presence.  I could see this girl was not currently on the same mental train tracks as me but she had gone mainline in her reply and my question now looked like it was sitting on the local village siding. 

I wish I could tell you what happened to Gill but the next five minutes saw me buffered in the bushes, gasping for air, wiping the biggest, fattest tears of laughter from my eyes and rescuing myself from the embrace of the native furze.  Only an astute, observant and confident woman could have made such a wisecrack as that and I realised in an instant that I was never going to get a sensible answer to this question from Gill.

Naturally, I would have turned to Sally at this point to inquire of her input but that girl was missing again, this time not on a culture-vulture jolly, but on a pre-Christmas laze-up in Lanzarote topping up her suntan while the rest of us slogged through the lassitudes of the British winter, a wet Waldringfield golf course and an Everest orgy of Christmas gift and food shopping. 

Now I really do have a problem with unloading my mind.  A routine is not a routine if you have to think about it and, trust me, I can think for Britain, the Channel Islands and the entire Commonwealth – but only when I’m faced with a golf ball and have a club in my hand.  The remainder of my time is devoid of all thought.

Take for instance that week before Christmas.  Tee off and orientate myself, check.  Need to check how many are actually coming to Christmas dinner.  Found my marker, check.  One last present to wrap.  Stance one-tenth to front of ball, nine-tenths behind, check. Where is that last present hidden? Must remember to buy some tinfoil. Drop right shoulder, check.  No, that’s already on the shopping list. Gift tags, check.  Stick my bottom out, straight back, check.  Ruby or tawny port with the cheeseboard?  Visualise my shot, check.  Should I have Stilton or Roquefort?  Backswing avoiding collapsing arms, check.  Nice ten-year-old tawny on offer in Tesco, check.  Think I’ll plumb for that one.  Swing through, check.  Every little helps, huh ?  Random though, keep in check.  Left arm straight, check. Am I playing golf or writing my “Must-do Christmas List”, don’t know, check.  Have I got gift tags?  Said that, check.  Keep your head down, you daft cow, no need to check that.  I wonder if the Christmas pudding will taste all right?  Must check when I get home.  Move from the hips. Follow through, check.  Head down, head down, check.  Extend those arms, check.  Oh my golly gosh, I’ve forgotten to post the overseas Christmas cards, urgent check.  Ham cooked in coca cola or honey, haven’t a clue?  And finish, check.  I’m done and I haven’t a clue where the ball is either.  That’s the foreshortened version I’ve given you to suffer through.   Doesn’t matter what time of year it is, I can do this endless head gibberish ad nauseam. 

Have to hand it to Sam Snead though: he nailed it when he said, “Thinking instead of acting is the number one golf disease”. The course of true golf never did run smooth and in my case it seems I’m in chronic disease mode with regular exacerbations of acute-on-chronic flare-ups to spice it up.  I need to park my rush hour train of thoughts at the station and ease into a chilled action routine. So it seems, on best advice, my choices are: become a man, take the escape route to Lanzarote or have a full frontal lobotomy.  Hobson, choice, or lack thereof, are all terms that spring to mind.

Perhaps I could put it on my pressie list for the big fat man in the white beard and red suit to deliver on Christmas morn.  Now we’re talking turkey!

‘Tis the season to be jolly.  I’m off to deck my halls and ring the New Year changes with a swing.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everyone!







No comments:

Post a Comment