Featured post

Thursday 21 August 2014

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS ENEMIES???

Trick-Shot-Jodie was on the loose and playing to the gallery.  I’m being kind in using that phrase.  You see, she could never be accused of playing to the fairway, or the tee, or the green – or anything remotely resembling a game of standard golf as you would recognise it.  Perhaps she was playing some perverse form of lay-ups but as I didn’t know or recognise that style of play at this point of my incipient golfing career, my best conclusion was that she was playing to the gallery.  And she certainly stopped players in their tracks and made them gasp – but I really wouldn’t like to be drawn on the quality of admiration that was being expressed in those gasps.  Shock and awe might be the closer ingredients but as it was mainly men who were nonplussed by her antics and we being female, we were easily able to discount their contributions and play on.

Being polite by nature, I did compliment her on her winsome ways with her whack attack on the ball.  At one stage, instead of responding to her usual request for the rescue club, I passed her a spade and shovel.  I felt the ground would be safer if she attacked with these implements.  And she certainly outplayed any strong male that day: the size of her pitch marks and divots were way beyond anything I’d ever seen.  In fact, if golf was scored on size and number of divots taken, Messrs Watson, Kaymer and McIlroy could hang up their golfing gear.  And her pitch marks were something else.  At one point so deep was the indentation, I thought we were heading for Australia.  Concave does not do those marks any justice.

Straight lines did not feature much in her maverick style of play either. She had a definite drive towards crisscrossing zigzags and a star-studded supernatural attraction for trees.  In truth, one stand of trees looked like they’d been attacked by a colony of beavers on a dam building expedition.  For the uninitiated, we don’t have much in the way of beavers in the UK and those we have are only fossils.  This was the crucial point at which I quit yelling ‘fore’ and capitulated into that well-worn cant of ‘timber’.  Trick-Shot-Jodie could certainly show those lumberjacks a thing or two about felling trees.  Our recent Storm St Jude had a lesser deleterious effect on the tree population of Seckford than the effervescent Jodie onslaught.

And things didn’t get any better.  Picture this: we’re back in the trees – for the umpteenth time.  TSJ’s ball is now lying on rough ground, snug between well-spaced trees.  Easy peasy pitching wedge shot between the trees, back onto the fairway.  Or so it would seem.  But TSJ only operates by Murphy’s Law which clearly states that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong.  And it did.  By now, I’d become chief adviser and caddy.  I handed her the necessary iron.  Reader, I really can’t tell you what happened next.  Jodie has this swing that is faster than anything even Dustin Johnson can produce.  Suffice it to say, she swung, she didn’t miss the trees, she did end up on the fairway - but the ricochet landed her a good thirty yards further back towards tee off than our original starting point.  I cried.  Big, big, BIG fat tears of laughter.  My abs worked harder that game then any gym session I’ve ever undertaken.

Now if you’ve ever had the burning need to prove Einstein’s Theory of Relativity – and I have to confess it’s not high on my shopping list – then this was the moment, the coup de grace.  Her standard of play made me look ‘professional’ – relatively speaking that is.  I have a feeling in my erudite waters though that it will be long and many a day before I look that good again.  Perhaps if I have a shot at believing in miracles or take up praying to St Jude.......  He is, after all, the patron saint of hopeless cases and golfers.  Hmmm!  He might have met his match in Jodie and me.  But here’s hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment